Friday, January 7, 2011

Sweet Potato Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting



One of the things I don't eat is Sweet Potato, I'm not sure why exactly, but I grew up not eating it. And since I started cooking I've been trying -like a grown up- to try food that I don't like. And what other way to do so than trying it in a dessert form?
I bookmarked this recipe a long time ago when I found it in the Top 9 on Foodbuzz, I had to wait until Sweet Potato were in season in Egypt, my mum got me a pound of Sweet Potatoes and I had took my hand at my first Sweet Potato Pie which my in-laws loved, so I finally had enough leftover sweet potato puree for these good looking bars.
This recipe is adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen, I find that blog to be fascinating, there are great recipes to be found there.



Sweet Potato Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

Adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen, originally from Paula Deen

Ingredients:

For the Sweet Potato Bar:

4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:

For the Bars:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer combine the eggs, sugar, oil and sweet potato on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the sweet potato mixture with your hand, until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Pour batter into the prepared 13 by 9-inch baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.

For the Frosting:

1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until incorporated.
3. Stir in the vanilla and mix.
4. Spread on cooled bars.
5. Decorate with crushed walnuts.

Devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment